Tuesday 3 February 2015

THIS IS EMBARRASSING!


Most of you have one, or two, or three......... God knows! That time when u are getting to know someone and they ask,  What is your most embarrassing moment?" Your face gets red, and your hands all clammy cold in sweat, and everyone is looking at you, and the world won't open up and swallow you whole!! (stop wishing, not gonna happen honey!) And just like that, it's happening all over again.......... Please note these reactions.

Usually, I don't get embarrassed by things that I do. Yeah, I'm perfect like that, don't hate me!! It's what other people do that really work a number on me. Like when a whole inspector general mispronounces "siege" on national television, or when i am watching tv with my dad and that disturbing durex ad comes on, or when......... The list is endless!

See, I am perfect. The repetition here is for emphasis. I am a perfect human being, with a couple of "Oops!" moments. Yes, me too. Princess Diana had one very particular, very memorable moment. One I am not in a hurry to forget.

The year, not relevant. But I was eighteen. Young, vibrant, and believe it or not, very angelic (as I still am, *hides). I was working in a very corporate setting, and being the youngest person in the whole block it was not easy to not be THE girl. So THE girl, was early to work (and early to leave), met targets, turned down invites to lunch, and rides home......... THE perfect girl!!

She had a secret crush, which was not secret because everyone knew and I ignored. So we work, and that moment when he's staring, and I can feel it, and I will not look up because I like it (I did not just say that!), and then I do, and smile as I look away like I didn't know he was smitten! Such a tease!!

Then that early time to leave work, and I powder my nose in the little girls' room. Everything is perfect!! So I grab my bag and walk, no strut, right past crush. I have his attention. Good. He comes up to me. He is smiling. Exchange of pleasantries. He wants to say something. I blush. Classic map drawing, except we are walking. I look up, he looks away! Darn! Say it already!

So he holds my hand, my crush. Gently, nudging me to stop. I stop. I look at him, so sweet! This is that auwwwwwww! moment. So I look into his eyes, he isn't. He looks away. Then back at me, "Dee, your blouse."

I'm sorry, what? "Your blouse", he is looking at me now. Pointing at his chest, no shirt, left side. Then pointing at me. My bossom. Left side. Then the reactions.....

My face, red. My hands all clammy cold in sweat. My heart, racing. My head, hung between them blades. Everyone is looking, at us, at me, at my bossom. The world didn't open up and swallow me whole!! Noooooo, I bore my shame. With grace, might I add. I smile, adjust my blouse. Then in a barely audible voice, "Thanks Mike".

What's your most embarrassing moment?

5 comments:

  1. Wow! what a nice read.....I like it!
    Keep it up dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deadly! you must have wished the sun to burn and melt you alive. But at least he held your hand

    ReplyDelete
  3. wah, enyewe diana, that was embarrasing. i love your language. soo natural i can almost hear it as i read

    ReplyDelete